This unusual wire basket I bought in an antique store in Cape May, NJ practically begged to be filled with something pretty and fitting for the powder room. Paper wrapped handmade soaps were a good choice, but a little pricey. I opted to buy a ten-pack of Ivory Soap for $3.99 at Target and cover the bars of soap with scraps from my fabric stash. Here’s how I did it:
- silk pins
- rectangular bars of soap
- enough fabric to cover the soap, as if you were wrapping a gift
- twine, yarn, ribbon, hem tape, and/or cording
- estimate how much fabric you’ll need for each bar and cut out a neat rectangle
- fold one long side over half of soap, and pin straight through fabric into soap in middle of bar
- iron a small crease on opposite end and pin through bar
- fold each end (like wrapping a gift), and pin in place through soap
- wrap with matching ribbon, etc.
Looks cute. You’ll never run out of soap, unless you can’t bear to unwrap them!